Collaboration succeeds with focus and intention. To optimize the core platform experience, we are reinforcing the fundamentals to ensure Mattermost continues being resilient, stable, and best-in-breed for mission-critical operations.
Effective September 15th, 2023, the Boards plugin is no longer bundled with Mattermost and will continue as a community-supported plugin moving forward.
We understand that any directional change to a product may have an impact on your existing workflows and processes. Transparency is of utmost importance to us. Our team is ready to assist you and provide the necessary resources to minimize disruptions and help you leverage alternative solutions.
How will these changes affect my Mattermost instance?
- Mattermost Self-hosted: You may continue to use Boards (Focalboard plugin). Moving forward, Mattermost will not be adding features or fixing bugs in boards as it will transition to a community-supported plugin beyond September 15th, 2023.
- Mattermost Cloud: With advanced warning, Mattermost Boards is now removed from all Cloud instances.
What does “community-supported” mean?
- Mattermost will no longer be maintaining boards - this includes bug fixes and feature additions. Instead, the Focalboard plugin is open-sourced and will be made available indefinitely for community contributions in the GitHub repository.
How do I know what Boards version my instance is using?
- As a System Admin, go to System Console > Plugins > Plugin Management to review the status of all plugins installed on your Mattermost deployment.
- You will see a list of plugin versions currently in use, and can enable or disable plugins here.
- For example, if you don’t see an entry for Mattermost Boards (focalboard - 7.11.2) in the list of plugins, this means that the plugin isn’t installed.
How do I export my Boards data?
- You can export your boards to CSV files. To do this, select the options menu (…) to the left of the New button at the top of the board, then select Export to CSV. The CSV will contain all the cards in that board and their associated properties. Learn more in our docs.
- If you’re missing cards in your CSV export, you may have a search query that’s filtering items in the board. Try clearing your search and exporting to CSV again.
What should I do if I have a feature request or bug report for Focalboard?
- We recommend opening a new issue in the Github repository to engage community contributors around the bug or feature request.
How do I update the focalboard plugin moving forward?
- If a newer version of the plugin is available, you can download the plugin package from the GitHub repository and then upload it in the System Console > Plugins > Plugin Management page.
- We recommend “watching” and starring the GitHub repositories of the plugins you use to receive notifications when a new release is available to download.
Why are Boards removed from cloud instances but remain usable on self-hosted instances?
Self-hosted administrators have the flexibility to create and install any plugins at their own risk. Mattermost cloud instances only run bundled plugins that have been tested and security reviewed by the Mattermost team. This is to ensure the stability and security of the services we provide our cloud customers.
What if I didn’t export my boards data before it was removed?
Please reach out to our support team via https://support.mattermost.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to determine if we can assist.
What if I want to migrate my cloud workspace to self-hosted?
You can migrate your Cloud workspace data to a self-hosted deployment at any time. Please see details in our documentation.
What should I do if I have concerns or further questions?
You can engage with our product team via email at email@example.com